Whether you bought a bean bag chair for your pup to sleep comfortably, for your kids to use in the playroom, or for yourself to relax and watch movies on the telly, it will take a lot of wear and need cleaning at some point. Do you know how to clean it properly? Worry not! I am going to spill the beans with this helpful guide on how to clean a bean bag chair properly.
1. Spot the Little Stuff
If you’re lounging around, watching reruns of Doctor Who, and drip a speck of brown sauce from your sausage sandwich, merely spot-treat the mess! Here’s how:
- Use dry doweling to wipe away the spill, only leaving the stain
- Pour a dab of Fairy washing up soap directly onto the stain
- Let it sit for half an hour
- Dampen a clean wash rag with cold water as hot water may set the stain
- Scrub the area and then rinse with cold water and let it dry
Because of the degreaser in the product, it works marvellously as a stain lifter! If
2. Machine Wash Removable Slip Covers
You take a look in at your little one which you left reading nicely to find them with finger paints on their new bean bag chair! Luckily, you opted for a chair with a removable cotton cover that you can throw in the wash!
For optimal results:
- Unzip the cover
- If the filler is loose, pour it into a large bag for safe storage, if not, pull it out
- Wipe off any excess paint globs
- Presoak the cover, for 5-10 minutes, in a bucket of cold water and liquid stain remover or 32 grams of baking soda
- Wash in cold water, on the delicate cycle, with a small amount of detergent and no liquid fabric softener
- Tumble dry with a dryer sheet
In less than two hours, your seat will look brand new!
3. Wash the Big Stuff
If you notice that your bean bag chair requires a washing from normal wear, then you may need to wash the entire bag. You may see that the cover does not separate. To keep the floor dry, place a sheet larger than the chair beneath it, like a plastic tarp.
Follow this process to clean your bean bag chair:
- Spot treat dark stains with sparkling water
- Spot treat greasy stains with a mild detergent
- Wet a cloth and use a dab of carpet cleaner
- Gently scrub the entire surface area
- Use a clean, wet towel to wipe off the cleanser and repeat until it comes off completely
- Fan dry the chair
The rinse step may seem a bit tedious, but you should never dump water directly onto the chair, as it may ruin the stuffing inside.
4. How to Clean a Bean Bag Chairs that Require Special Treatment
Some chairs, you cannot wash with any old method. Certain materials or situations may require special treatment. Let’s look at a few.
Using the wash methods above on a suede bag will destroy it. Instead:
- Rub messes with a damp terry towelling
- For persistent stains, use a two parts water, one part vinegar cleaning solution
- Use circular motions to clean with a metal suede brush
- Spray on a water-resistant protective spray
You should use the protective spray on your chair the moment you bring it home, to make cleaning simpler and safer for your chair. Find everything you need to know about cleaning suede furniture here.
Though vinyl provides durability, it also can make stain removal extra tricky. Try this:
- Create a paste using a spoonful of baking soda and drops of warm water until it the powder is all wet and pasty
- Dab it on the spot
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush to scrub out the stain gently
- Wipe away the paste with a damp cloth
Your chair will always look spectacular! But beware vinyl bean bags contain toxic and deadly chemicals.
Everybody loves snuggling into the softness of plush, and under no circumstances do you want to clean that softness away. To keep your plush lush:
- Remove dust with dry paper towelling
- Vacuum regularly with a brush attachment
- Gently use a soft-bristled hairbrush for removing any crusty stains
Unless necessary, skip the soap and water.
Faux fur bean bags look and feel luxurious! You do not want to wash them incorrectly to leave them looking like a wet kitty. Wash them like this:
- Vacuum out dirt with an attachment brush
- Use a professional-grade upholstery cleaner to spot clean
- Hand wash, like hair, with cold water and a few pumps of mild, liquid hand soap
- Let it soak in for 15-20 minutes
- Rinse thoroughly using a damp cloth and ringing it out
- Apply a mixture of cold water and fabric softener
- Soak 10 minutes
- Rinse carefully using a clean damp cloth
- Towel dry and then fan dry
- Once dry, brush the fur gently with a wide-toothed comb
School-aged children often come home at one point in their life with a case of head lice. And typically, you do not know right away. But the creatures can live for a few days on non-living things, like your bean chair.
If this happens to your family:
- Vacuum the bean bag chair
- Fill a small spray bottle with warm water and several drops of tea tree oil and spritz the entire chair, top to bottom, but do not soak it
- Cover the chair in plastic (large bags if you can find any that fit) for two days
Your chair will come through this ordeal like nothing ever happened. You may even love the oil, and it is safe for the whole family, pets included! You can also spray it in the hair to help treat and prevent head lice.
Olefin is becoming increasingly popular in outdoor bean bags due to its superior qualities. Click here for our comprehensive guide on how to clean olefin fabric.
5. Refill the Beans
You love your pup so much that you allowed them to make their very own luxury bed out of your bean bag for the past two months, and now it smells.
It’s time to spill the beans and replace the bean bag filling, which is super simple. You can buy the new filling and add in pet-safe carpet powder with them to help keep the bag smelling fresh for the future.
Sometimes people want to switch it up a bit, because they worry about it posing a choking hazard, or because they want 100% of all-natural materials. If you decide that you want to use a bean bag filler alternative, try:
- Packing peanuts
- Dry beans
- Shredded paper
- Pine needles
- Rice (a real lot of it)
You can play around with your options to see what fits your values and comfort.
Relax and Buy a Bean Bag Chair
Now that you know how to clean a bean bag chair find your favourite style and material! One is fine, but the more, the merrier!
Explore Beanbags R Us and have your pick.